Cigarette caused Milton house fire, 7 escape - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Cigarette caused Milton house fire, 7 escape

Posted: Updated:

MILTON, Vt. (AP) - Firefighters in the Vermont town of Milton say a carelessly discarded cigarette is to blame for a house fire in which all seven people inside escaped.

Firefighters they responded to the fire at about 10:15 p.m. Monday. They said the occupants were alerted to the fire in the basement when smoke detectors began sounding. No one was hurt.

The fire department was able to extinguish the fire and contain the majority of the fire damage to the basement.

Damages are estimated in excess of $15,000.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.