A big emergency response in South Burlington Thursday due to a propane leak.
Crews were called to the Georgetown Apartments on Kennedy Drive after authorities say a backhoe operator clearing snow accidentally severed the nozzle of a recently-refilled propane tank.
"In the process of doing a snow clearing operation, we had a bucket loader sheared off the top of a propane tank, a 500-gallon propane tank. He sheared off the fill areas which allowed the gas to escape out the cylinder," South Burlington Deputy Fire Chief Terry Francis said.
Residents were evacuated and firefighters vented the building until the propane company off-loaded the tank. No one was hurt.