Firefighters in the Upper Valley got a little unexpected help Tuesday afternoon at a house fire in West Hartford.
Crews were called to the home on Route 14 around 4 p.m. Engines from both Hartford and Lebanon, N.H., responded.
According to firefighters on scene, the fire started near the wood stove.
Officials say the fire would have spread more quickly had it not been for a burst water pipe.
"It appears that the combustibles were stored too close to the wood stove and again, started a fire and burned down through the flooring. A domestic hot water pipe had actually broken off and helped control the fire until we arrived," Hartford Fire Chief Steven Locke said.