Police: Middlebury apartment fire caused by cigarette - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Police: Middlebury apartment fire caused by cigarette

Posted: Updated:

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. (AP) - Vermont State Police say a carelessly discarded cigarette sparked an early morning apartment fire in Middlebury.

A neighbor called 911 after smelling smoke in her apartment and noting smoke coming from a downstairs unit Wednesday morning.

Police say the tenants were all safely evacuated.

Authorities say the fire broke out in a back bedroom of one of the units. Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly and keep it from spreading to other areas of the apartment or building.

The man who lived in the apartment was taken to the Porter Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and released.

Police say the fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.