Olympian Hannah Kearney returns with bittersweet emotions - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Olympian Hannah Kearney returns with bittersweet emotions

NORWICH, Vt. -

"That has always been the goal, the Olympics. When I first saw the Olympics, I knew I wanted to be a part of them," Hannah Kearney said.

On a snowy day in Vermont, less than a week after returning from Sochi, Kearney has a brief moment to reflect on her most recent Winter Games.

"The blue signs all over Norwich that say 'Hannah, Norwich's Olympic pride' make it feel a little more special this time around," she said.

And the bronze medal she brought back with her from Russia is a constant reminder that Kearney is one of the best mogul skiers in the world.

"It is a beautiful souvenir," she said. "It represents how hard I fought in a day that was a challenging competition for me."

But bronze is not the spot on the podium that this Norwich native was expecting. After all, she was the reigning gold medalist and skiing at the top of her sport.

"My performance in the Olympics was really disappointing," she said. "It was a big mistake. It is hard, I know, for some people to be able to relate to the disappointment because I did walk away with a bronze medal, which is fabulous. It is not the bronze medal I am disappointed about. In fact, I think I am very lucky to have made a mistake and get a bronze medal."

A slight kick-out during a turn on her final run was all it took for her gold medal dreams to be dashed. A mistake that Kearney says she replays over and over in her head.

"I have the footage; I haven't rewatched it because I am just not ready," she said. "And it is hard when I have been a really strong consistent competitor for the last four years to make mistakes when it matters most is what I am devastated about."

She articulated her devastation in a tweet after the event: "Bronze feels a lot like a broken heart." Failed expectations and raw emotions wrapped up into one simple sentence.

"All you can do is represent yourself in the truest, most authentic sense possible. And I have no regrets for that reason. I feel that I represented myself and my hometown well. I know that there are going to be people that think my wording could have been different or I could have held back my emotions, but as I said, I don't have regrets. Everything that I said was exactly how I felt. I certainly don't mean to come across as ungrateful. Those are some of the most hurtful comments, being spoiled and ungrateful because... " Kearney stopped, becoming emotional.

A quick break in our interview, like the tweet, is insight into the heart behind the skier. Something in the age of social media that we live in on display for the world to see.

"With social media you get the good and the bad," Kearney said. "You get the outpouring of support that would have never reached you otherwise and you also get the critiques. So, my experience with Twitter, to which I am a new user, has been like, what am I doing? I am just sharing random parts of my life, almost for no reason. I'm just asking for people to either make fun of you or give you a thumbs-up. Why do I need that in my life? But then it is special moments when someone like Grace Potter tweets at you and it's like, this is really cool. We have flattened the world."

That is, of course, unless we are talking about the bumpy terrain of the mogul course. And while this skier says she was hoping for different colored hardware to put around her neck, bronze is still hard to beat.

"It represents how proud I am to get a medal for the United States of America," Kearney said.

And if you think Kearney has time to savor that medal, think again. She leaves Tuesday for Japan, which begins five more World Cup events. Kearney says despite her third place showing in Sochi, she is still ranked first in the world and has a title to defend.

Officer involved shooting in Bennington Police Dept.

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:22 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:22:02 GMT
    Police say there has been an officer involved shooting inside the Bennington Police Department. It happened just before 9 Tuesday evening. Authorities are releasing very few details. But say the Bennington Police Chief has called in the Vermont State Police to investigate after an officer allegedly shot a man in the lobby of the police station. No word yet on what prompted the shooting. The injured man was taken to a hospital. Police would not comment on the severity of his injuries. Initial ...More >>

Champlain College housing plans put on hold

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:22 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:22:42 GMT
    It's a fight that's pitting Champlain College against the Queen City. The school says it's not giving up on building more student housing, even after being denied land-use permits. Years ago, the college made a commitment to create housing for all students but that goal has hit a snag, with their recent construction plans on hold.The project would create more than 300 beds for Champlain students on St. Paul Street, but the Development Review Board denied the permits the college needed based o...More >>

Burlington school budget on it's way back to voters

Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:56:59 GMT
    A new Burlington school budget is on its way to voters that is more expensive and has more cuts than the last version.The board of finance approved a $67.6 million budget. On Town Meeting Day voters shot down a budget that was about a million dollars less than this new budget. After a recent audit that uncovered a $2.5 million dollar deficit, the board was forced to slash $2.5 million in programming and staff. School board chair Patrick Halladay acknowledges concerns about a larger budget wit...More >>

Amphibians on the move

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:23:09 GMT
    People across the state are helping out their amphibian friends on the move. Biologists say this annual salamander crawl happens on the first warm rainy nights of spring like Tuesday night. Over half a dozen of different critters from frogs to spotted salamanders travel to breeding grounds. But often, experts say, that means crossing busy roads which can be deadly for a large number of amphibians. But groups on Pond Road in Shelburne, are giving a helping hand to get the salamanders safely ac...More >>

Vermont man accused of identity theft

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:23:34 GMT
    A Vermont man is accused of using stolen identities in a scheme to defraud banks now faces federal charges. Prosecutors say 35-year-old Brian Wyer used identities of Ohio and Kansas residents to obtain two Vermont non-driver ID cards. He then allegedly used the fraudulent IDs to open bank accounts in Massachusetts withdrawing about $75,000. Wyer was indicted in Vermont in June and taken into custody by U.S. marshals in Illinois last month. During his arraignment Monday in Burlington the judge...More >>

Rutland vandals target parking meters

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 04:23:55 GMT
    Police say vandals in Rutland targeted several parking meters in a quest for quick cash. 11 meter locks and 12 meter cans filled with change were damaged along Merchants Row, Center Street, Court Street, Cottage Street and Justice Square parking lot. One meter pole and its vault was also destroyed. Police put damage in excess of thousand bucks. Anyone with information is asked to call Rutland City police.More >>

Vt. principal who faced criminal charges wants clearer mandatory reporting law

Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:53:40 GMT
    A law designed to protect kids landed a Vermont school principal in hot water. Now, Danville High School Principal Noah Noyes wants lawmakers to put the state's mandatory reporting rules under the microscope.More >>

Embezzlement case prompts changes from Vt. officials

Tuesday, April 22 2014 7:39 PM EDT2014-04-22 23:39:01 GMT
    The case of a Vermont worker charged with embezzling taxpayer money is prompting changes in the state's system.More >>