CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Gov. Maggie Hassan is optimistic poor New Hampshire adults will be receiving coverage by July under a proposed plan to use Medicaid funding to pay for private insurance.
Hassan said Monday the plan still must pass the Senate and House, but she noted it received a positive recommendation last week from a Senate committee. She said she hopes lawmakers will act swiftly so some 38,000 people can begin start up for coverage under the state's Medicaid managed care plan by May 1 and receive coverage starting July 1.
Another 12,000 people would qualify under an existing program that subsidizes employer-based coverage.
The proposal hinges on New Hampshire winning federal approval to use Medicaid funding to buy private insurance for the adults.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.