DERRY, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire fire officials say improper use of smoking materials caused a fire that killed a man and dog in Derry, N.H.
The victim was identified on Friday as 48-year-old Michael Lacharite.
Officials say the fire broke out in a couch due to the misuse of smoking materials near papers and rubbish.
The Derry Fire Department says a passer-by noticed flames coming from the roof and called 911 just before 1 a.m. Friday. Crews were on the scene within three minutes but were unable to get into the house immediately because of the heavy volume of fire.
Police say the home did not have a smoke detector on the level where Lacharite was found and it was unknown if an old smoke detector found in the basement was working.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.