ENFIELD, N.H. (AP) - A 4-year-old girl playing outside of a home day care in New Hampshire has died of a traumatic injury when her coat got stuck on a branch and began choking her.
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center confirmed the death of the child Wednesday.
Police Chief Richard Crate Jr. told WMUR-TV that the Enfield day care provider had stepped away for just a few moments when the child had gotten hung up on a "lean-to-type" stick with her jacket Monday. He said it might have gotten caught and that cut off her airway.
WMUR-TV reported that the day care was operating without a license.
The provider started CPR and called 911. The girl was taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, where she died Wednesday.
Police have said no criminal charges are being considered at this time.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.