Quantcast

Fatal fire caused by flammable liquid in woodstove - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Fatal fire caused by flammable liquid in woodstove

Posted: Updated:
FAIRFAX, Vt. -

Police say a man killed in a house fire Friday was using a flammable liquid to light his woodstove.

The fire consumed the home of 80-year-old Joseph Benoit and his wife Phyllis. Investigators say when Mr. Benoit sprayed the liquid into the stove, his clothes caught on fire, and the flames quickly spread. Mrs. Benoit tried to help her husband but was driven back by the heat and smoke. Passersby helped get Mrs. Benoit out of the burning home, but Mr. Benoit could not be saved.

Related Story:

One dead in Fairfax fire

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.