Quantcast

White House mum on blocked weapons permit - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

White House mum on blocked weapons permit

Posted: Updated:
FAIRFAX, Vt. - FAIRFAX, Vt. (AP) - The White House isn't responding to claims from a Vermont gun importer that it is to blame for blocking a permit that would have allowed it to re-import a number of historic America-made firearms from South Korea.

Century International Arms, of Fairfax, says the White House's blocking the deal led to its laying off 41 employees.

While the White House didn't respond to requests for comment Friday, last summer it issued a release saying it was blocking the re-importation of surplus military weapons as a way to reduce gun violence.

Century Arms said Thursday it had been planning on importing a large number of vintage WWII-era, M1 Garand rifles from South Korea and it had all the permits to do so until the White House intervened and blocked the deal.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Stories:

Vt. gun manufacturer lays off employees

Vermont home to global arms dealer

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.