Quantcast

Leahy says White House was wrong to shut down Vt. gun imports - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Leahy says White House was wrong to shut down Vt. gun imports

Posted: Updated:
FAIRFAX, Vt. - Senator Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, says the White House got it wrong when it shot down a Vermont company's plan to import guns from South Korea.

Century International Arms of Fairfax wanted to bring in $30 million worth of surplus World War II M-1 rifles. The company reconditions old military weapons for sale to civilians, but the White House blocked the deal as part of a broader policy to stop gun imports as a way to reduce gun violence. Governor Peter Shumlin, D-Vermont, and Sen. Leahy wrote a letter to the president last month asking him to reconsider.

"I think the Obama administration made a bad bad mistake," said Sen. Leahy. "This is not like selling a bunch of assault weapons; these are basically collectors’ items. I'm a gun owner and these are not the things someone is going to use to hold up a bank, or shoot people, they are legitimate collector items.

Century Arms laid off 41 Vermont workers Thursday and blamed the White House and the blocked gun imports.

Click here to see the letter that was sent to the President

Related Stories:

White House mum on blocked weapons permit

Vt. gun manufacturer lays off employees

Vermont home to global arms dealer

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.