Quantcast

Grand Isle church damaged by fire - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Grand Isle church damaged by fire

Posted: Updated:
GRAND ISLE, Vt. - An after-church gathering Sunday in Grand Isle was disrupted by a fire.

Fire crews arrived to find thick black smoke coming from The Grand Isle United Methodist Church.  Fire officials say the group was cooking in a kitchen in the church basement when the fire broke out -- possibly caused by an oil fryer. Crews were able to save the building, but say parts of the kitchen were a mess.

"I would say that half the cellar has significant damage. The kitchen area certainly is beyond any hope of repair. That will have to be replaced. It hasn't breached the floor but certainly it's charred underneath the floor," said Grand Isle Vol. Fire Dept. Chief Bill Baron.

One fire fighter was overcome by smoke and heat, but was later reported OK.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.