Quantcast

University of Vermont has hazardous material scare - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

University of Vermont has hazardous material scare

Posted: Updated:

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A malfunctioning ventilation system is blamed for the build-up of fumes in a lab at the Trinity Campus of the University of Vermont.

Firefighters responded to the campus at 3:30 Monday after a staffer noted an alarm had been activated by a sensor in the lab. The staffer pulled the fire alarm, which evacuated the building and prevented people from coming into contact with the hydrofluoric acid fumes. Nobody was injured.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the chemical is used in refrigerants, herbicides, pharmaceuticals, high-octane gasoline, aluminum and plastics, among other things. Breathing in the fumes can damage lung tissue and cause swelling and fluid build-up in the lungs. It can also cause eye and nose irritation.

The laboratory ventilation system was re-activated, clearing the fumes.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.