Chef Anthony Spine with the Essex Resort & Spa joins us with a delicious and hearty fall recipe!
Autumn Pot Pie
Yield 6 individual Pies
2 cups all purpose flour
½ tbsp. salt
1/3 cup crisco
1.25 sticks butter, cubed
4 ea garlic cloves, roasted and mashed
1 tsp parsley, chopped
1/3 cup cold water
6 oz chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 ea small sweet potato, small dice
1 cup butternut squash, small dice
½ cup carrot, small dice
½ cup yellow onion, small dice
¼ cup celery, small dice
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
½ tsp fresh thyme, minced
¼ cup flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
pinch of nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
To make pie crust:
2. Place flour, salt, cold cubed butter, and Crisco into a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and pulse until you have a course flour mixture and there are no pieces of butter larger than ¼ inch. Add mashed garlic cloves and parsley and pulse to just combine. Turn machine onto low speed and pour ice water into flour mixture while running. Pour just enough water until the mixture starts to come together as a dough, at this point remove dough from processor and place on a floured work surface to roll out. Roll the pie dough out to ¼ inch thickness and cut small circles that will fit over whichever vessel or dish you choose to make your pie crust in.
To make filling:
3. Place a large saute pan or shallow sauce pot over medium heat and add 3 tbsp of olive oil.
4. Add chicken and sear until golden brown and almost fully cooked (about 4 minutes)
5. Then add sweet potato and butternut squash and continue to cook for an additional 4 minutes.
6. Next add sage, thyme, carrot, onion, and celery and saute just long enough to soften (3 minutes)
7. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture and stir enough to combine.
8. Pour in chicken stock while stirring vigorously. Bring mixture to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes until thick.
9. Place filling into one large pie tin or individual ceramic crocs, then place a over the top of the vessel and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
Tip: if you would like to achieve a dark brown shiny crust apply an egg wash of just yolks to the top of the crust before baking using a pastry brush.
PO Box 4508