Quantcast

South Burlington landfill to turn solar - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

South Burlington landfill to turn solar

Posted: Updated:
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. -

The city of South Burlington's old landfill is about to turn solar.

A proposed project has received a Certificate of Public Good and is set to break ground next spring.

It will take up about 8 acres in what the city calls "otherwise unusable space" near the airport.

The City Council says it's projected to save taxpayers about $5 million over the next 25 years.

"It seems as if it's an excellent use for the community. What else do you do with it? You're allowed to walk on it or play on it, it gets mowed twice a year and that's about it," said Helen Riehle, City Council chair.

"It enables our citizens and our children that we don't have to import fossil fuels to light our city and our schools," said Linda McGinnis, South Burlington Energy Committee.

About 60 percent of the power generated will be used at the city's wastewater treatment plants. The remaining 40 percent will be fed to four city schools.

The developer says the city will be keeping all of the net metering credits under the deal.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.