Fire Destroys Weathersfield Home - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Fire Destroys Weathersfield Home

Tiffany Emery Tiffany Emery
Tonia Bushway Tonia Bushway

Weathersfield, Vermont - November 21, 2008

Tonia Bushway tries to put on a smiling face as she plays with her two daughters and niece in their temporary home. The family is staying at the Holiday Inn after a fire took most of their belongings. Bushway's oldest daughter Tiffany Emery was inside the home when the fire started.

"My guinea pig was squeaking and I thought he wanted lettuce or something, because that is what he usually does. And I went over and I saw smoke, then I look more and I saw fire so I grabbed the phone and ran," Tiffany said.

Tiffany was able to escape uninjured, but the guinea pig was not as fortunate. The 12-year-old is still awaiting word on the family cat.

"I was scared because I didn't know if my cat was in there and I have had the cat ever since I was five," Tiffany said.

The fire broke out a little before noon Thursday and several area fire departments responded to the scene but they were unable to save the structure. An electrical short is believed to be the cause. The home is considered a total loss. The family did not have insurance.

"Friday, my sister's birthday, my mom bought me some pants and I never got to wear them once," Tiffany said.

"We lost everything, absolutely everything," Bushway said. "Clothes, TV, furniture... I lost the family photo albums of me and my sisters and my parents, and my grandparents."

Bushway said the kids are coping relatively well considering their lives have been flipped upside down over night.

"It still is devastating. Obviously... We can't go home," she said.

The Red Cross is paying for the room for the next few days and providing money for basic necessities like clothes and food. But come Monday they will need to find a new place to live.

"The house was our security and right now I think we have each other for our security," Bushway said.

She said she is focusing on her kids-- just taking things one step at a time.

"Life's a journey," she said.

A journey that sometimes is marked by tragedy.

Adam Sullivan - WCAX News

Police: Men used stolen cards on thousands of dollars in purchases

Saturday, August 23 2014 9:48 AM EDT2014-08-23 13:48:46 GMT
    Police in Chittenden County have caught two men from Brooklyn who they say used stolen credit card numbers to buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

Destination Recreation: Clark's Trading Post

Saturday, August 23 2014 9:28 AM EDT2014-08-23 13:28:18 GMT
    Clark's Trading Post in Lincoln, New Hampshire has attracted millions of visitors since opening its doors in 1928. While famous for its bear shows, it offers a whole lot more.

At Issue: Keeping up with kids' vaccinations

Saturday, August 23 2014 9:21 AM EDT2014-08-23 13:21:43 GMT
    It's about time to send kids back to school, and if you're a parent, chances are you've gotten a note reminding you to make sure your kids are up to date on their vaccinations.

Teaching the notes of tango in Stowe

Saturday, August 23 2014 9:13 AM EDT2014-08-23 13:13:32 GMT
     The hills of Stowe were alive this week with the sound of music -- Argentine Tango music. We sent Cat Viglienzoni to check it out.

Burglary suspects caught

Saturday, August 23 2014 12:18 AM EDT2014-08-23 04:18:38 GMT
    Vermont State Police nabbed a pair of suspected burglars and believe they're linked to several other crimes.

Sen. Jim Jeffords laid to rest

Friday, August 22 2014 8:12 PM EDT2014-08-23 00:12:17 GMT
    Sen. Jim Jeffords was one of Vermont's beloved public servants, with a career that took him from the hills of Shrewsbury to the U.S. Senate. Friday, in his hometown of Rutland, James Jeffords was laid to rest.

Is it safe to move accused killer Elizabeth Teague?

Friday, August 22 2014 7:09 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:09:17 GMT
    The Vt. Dept. of Mental Health says scarce resources are part of the push to relocate alleged workplace shooter Elizabeth Teague to a facility with fewer regulations. Elizabeth Keatinge was at Friday's hearing.

Police investigate death of 13-year-old in Hardwick

Friday, August 22 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-08-23 00:10:40 GMT
    Investigators say a teen was found dead at a home in Hardwick Friday morning.
    Investigators say a teen was found dead at a home in Hardwick Friday morning.