Advertisement

Hyde Park home destroyed by fire

Hyde Park fire
Hyde Park fire(WCAX)
Published: Mar. 16, 2021 at 7:00 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HYDE PARK, Vt. (WCAX) - A Hyde Park home was destroyed by fire Monday and officials say the blaze was sparked by a cigarette butt.

It happened Monday at about 9:30 a.m. on Whitcomb Island Road.

Firefighters say someone going by saw the front porch on fire and told the homeowner who was inside. They tried to put out the flames themselves, but failed and called 911. When crews finally arrived, the whole house was engulfed in flames.

Investigators say the fire started on the porch in a metal container used to dispose of cigarette butts.

Authorities say the best way to prevent these types of fires is by having a designated smoking area that’s at least 50 feet from any building.

Copyright 2021 WCAX. All rights reserved.