Advertisement

Colchester Fire District building damaged in fire

Published: Jul. 2, 2021 at 6:41 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLCHESTER, Vt. (WCAX) - Colchester firefighters responded shortly after midnight to a fire in their own backyard.

Investigators say the roofline of the water district building appears to have caught fire due to faulty garage door wiring. The sprinklers kicked on and that’s what firefighters thought they were dealing with until they saw smoke. They got it under control in about half an hour, in part, thanks to those sprinklers.

“It just goes to show how important it is to have sprinkler systems in a commercial building. If that system had not been in place, it would have been a much larger fire,” said Colchester Fire Capt. Dale Newton.

Thankfully, the water district building is still usable. The offices are closed due to water damage, but they can still get emergency calls.

Copyright 2021 WCAX. All rights reserved.