Woman dies after getting trapped in Highgate house fire
HIGHGATE, Vt. (WCAX) - Police say an elderly woman is dead after a fire in Highgate.
It happened Sunday at about 9 p.m. on St. Armand Road.
State police say when crews arrived, Keith Ploof, 64, told them his mother, Sylvia Ploof, 89, was still inside.
They got her out but she died at the hospital from her injuries.
Her son was treated for smoke inhalation.
Fire investigators say the blaze started in the living room where an overloaded power strip failed and ignited nearby combustible materials.
They say there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.
The fire caused extensive heat and smoke damage on the first floor of the home.
Swanton, Sheldon and Franklin County crews assisted in fighting the fire.
Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story said everyone made it out safely. We regret the error.
Copyright 2021 WCAX. All rights reserved.