Rutland man charged with fatal hit and run

Published: Oct. 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RUTLAND, Vt. (WCAX) - A Rutland man charged with the fatal hit and run of a homeless man back in March pleaded not guilty in court Monday.

Police arrested Dylan Gunnip, 27, last week following a months-long investigation into the March 11 crash that killed Henry Miles, 54, on Route 4 in Mendon. Police say Gunnip was behind the wheel of the Dodge Ram truck that struck and killed Miles as he crossed the highway about 9:34 p.m. that night.

Miles’ niece, Amanda Miles, says her uncle didn’t have a home but did have a huge heart. “He was awesome. There is no one in this town who could say a bad thing about him. He would help out anybody. Even if he didn’t have anything, he would make sure everyone else was set before himself,” she said.

According to the affidavit, a driver’s side mirror was found on the road next to Miles’ body. Less than a week later, Gunnip told police his mirror broke off when he hit a deer. After a search of his truck, police in June determined the mirror was from Gunnip’s truck. By August, DNA found on the mirror confirmed it was Miles’ blood. Gunnip’s cell phone data also put him in the area at the time of the crash.

Dylan Gunnip, 27, faces charges in the March 11 crash that killed Henry Miles, 54, on Route 4...
Dylan Gunnip, 27, faces charges in the March 11 crash that killed Henry Miles, 54, on Route 4 in Mendon.(WCAX)

Amanda wants to know why it took another seven weeks for police to arrest Gunnip. “My father has been calling the state police nonstop, wondering when the charges were going to happen. They wouldn’t even tell us who it was. And to find out they had his truck a few days later and had a suspect and they wouldn’t tell us, that’s a little frustrating,” she said.

Police say they are letting their investigation speak for itself. The Rutland County State’s Attorney’s Office did not respond to a request for comment on the timeline of the case.

At Monday’s hearing, the judge allowed Gunnip to continue driving to work, something Amanda is also frustrated by. “I don’t understand how killing someone isn’t enough to not be able to drive,” she said.

Gunnip’s attorney, Matthew Hart, and Miles’ family agree on one thing -- it’s time for the case to be heard. “We would like to keep the case moving along as quickly as possible. We’ve been trying to do that,” Hart said.

“I just hope we get justice for Henry,” Amanda said.

It’s not clear when Gunnip will be back in court.

Gunnip faces charges of suspicion of leaving the scene of a crash with death resulting. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Related Story:

Vt. police still searching for driver in deadly hit-and-run

Police hunt for driver in fatal pedestrian hit and run

Copyright 2021 WCAX. All rights reserved.