Cooking up a futuristic soup inspired by ‘Star Trek’
BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - We’re kicking off a week of out-of-this-world cooking segments with a soup.
This gazpacho is positively futuristic. It’s inspired by “Star Trek.”
Our Cat Viglienzoni talked to Chelsea Monroe-Cassel about “The Star Trek Cookbook.” Watch the video to see.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 large servings
Pairs well with: a creamy cheese, a salad of mixed greens
Diplomatic plating: Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, cubed tomato, apple, strawberry,
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced
- ½ apple, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, strawberries, apple, vinegar, and ¼ cup water and cook over medium-low heat until the strawberries and apple have softened considerably, about 10 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and puree with an immersion blender until no large pieces remain.
Serve hot, or let cool, refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and serve chilled.
2. For a more elegant presentation, strain the soup through a sieve to achieve a smoother consistency. If serving warm, return to the heat and cook for another few minutes until it reaches the desired temperature.
3. For species that enjoy a little extra zip of flavor, consider garnishing the soup with a drizzle of Thai sweet chili sauce.
Copyright 2022 WCAX. All rights reserved.