Flooded or damaged home? Find Vermont flooding resources here

State leaders are looking to make finding information on flooding recovery easier for...
State leaders are looking to make finding information on flooding recovery easier for Vermonters. - File photo(WCAX)
Published: Jul. 17, 2023 at 10:47 AM EDT|Updated: Jul. 18, 2023 at 1:19 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WCAX) - State leaders are looking to make finding information on flooding recovery easier for Vermonters.

Vermont Emergency Management has opened three new multi-agency resource centers in Barre, Ludlow and Johnson.

They’re designed to be a one-stop shop to help Vermonters navigate the recovery process after flooding. Several state and nonprofit agencies will be available to answer questions and guide people to appropriate services.

You can also find meals, water and cleaning kits, as well as mental health and medical services.

More locations will open up throughout the week.

Locations of Resource Centers:

  • Ludlow - Community Center, 37 Main St Ludlow
  • Barre - BOR/Auditorium, 16 Auditorium Hill, Barre
  • Johnson - Johnson Elementary School, 57 College Hill, Johnson

*Additional sites will be added in Londonderry and Woodstock on Tuesday, with more opening throughout the week.

The state now has a website up with details on flooding resources that are available to Vermonters.

Click here for the Vermont Flood Resources Guide.


If flooding has impacted your job, the Vermont Department of Labor says you will soon be able to sign up for disaster unemployment assistance.

It’s a federally funded program that provides temporary benefits to people who can’t work because of a natural disaster. Before you can apply, you must first be denied regular unemployment.

Labor Commissioner Michael Harrington says the flooding disaster funding will work like the pandemic assistance benefits did.

“This is mirrored similarly after that, everybody flows through the traditional unemployment program and those that are deemed ineligible for traditional unemployment are moved over to the disaster unemployment system and they can apply through that,” Harrington said.

You can call now to file a claim but the Labor Department plans to release a public application for unemployment on its website on Wednesday.


More money is available for Vermont business owners affected by the disastrous flooding.

The U.S. Small Businesses Association says businesses and nonprofits may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other assets.

Borrowers can use insurance proceeds to reduce or repay the loans.

And the USSBA isn’t just providing loans to business owners, there are disaster loans up to $200,000 for homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate.

Homeowners and renters are also eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property.

Two SBA business recovery centers have been set up in the state so far.

One at the Vermont Chamber of Commerce on Granger Road in Berlin opens Tuesday. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday.

And in Ludlow, the Engel & Völkers Okemo Building on Main Street opens Wednesday. It will operate 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Click here for more details.