BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger and the city's racial equity director Wednesday presented a plan to support minority communities in the city.
During Weinberger's briefing, he announced the creation of a COVID-19 Response Team for BIPOC – Black, Indigenous, People of Color.
The city’s new director of racial equity, inclusion and belonging, Tyeastia Green, outlined a plan the team has crafted to assure equitable pandemic recovery.
The plan includes eight points:
- Support the city's efforts to box in the virus
- Track data by race, ethnicity and geography
- Build trust with communities of color and create a racial equity response team of community members
- Enhance access to testing and health care, especially testing in places Black, Indigenous People of Color trust like a church or a community center
- Protect essential and low-wage workers
- Provide social services to keep vulnerable groups safe
- Ensure communities of color have access and receive economic relief and recovery resources
- Identify structural progress and address institutional racism