Chimney fire in Pittsford

Published: Nov. 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Fire crews received a call around 12:30 Saturday morning to a fire off of Route 7 in Pittsford. Responding crews controlled the fire within two hours. Thomas Hooker, the Pittsford Fire Chief, says the two people inside made it out safe, but there was clear damage to the house.

"This fire actually did start from the chimney, that there was no question it was right around the whole chimney," said Hooker. He says the this could have been prevented.

"This time of year make sure you have your chimney cleaned at least once before you start them up," said Chief Hooker.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends getting your heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. They remind you to turn off portable heaters when leaving a room or going to bed, never use your oven to heat your home, and have a 3 foot "kid free zone" around all open fires and space heaters. They also recommenced to checking and replacing smoke detectors frequently.

"This house didn't have smoke detectors in it. It's a miracle she woke up with a smoke cause it's normally smoke a put you to sleep," said Hooker.

If you cannot afford a smoke detector Chief Hooker says you can talk to your local fire department as they can help get your house equipped to make sure you and your family are safe.