Details released on South Burlington teacher contracts

By  | 

SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) We finally know the agreement the South Burlington teachers union and the school board made after nearly 10 hours of meeting behind closed doors.

The school board voted "yes" on the deal in less than 30 minutes Friday morning. The union already gave the agreement the greenlight earlier this week.

Here's what it says:

This year, teachers will get a 2.17 percent raise. That translates to an average of about $1,679. For 2019, teachers will get a 2.49 percent raise.

Besides salary, health care was the other sticking point. The deal says next year, the district will pick up 83 percent of costs, while teachers pick up the remaining 17 percent. After that, the district picks up 80 percent and the teachers 20. We're told premiums are lower for the new health plans, but maximum out-of-pocket costs are higher.

"I think both parties worked really hard to get to an agreement that reflected each parties' needs. And although it took a long time and effort, I think we ended up at something that really supports stakeholders in the district," said Elizabeth Fitzgerald, the chair of the South Burlington School Board.

The two-year contract goes from July 1 of this year to June 30, 2019.