Advertisement

Initial unemployment claims on the decline in New Hampshire

(WCAX)
Published: May. 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

More than 8,000 initial unemployment claims were filed in New Hampshire last week, down more than 1,500 from the previous week, the U.S. Department of Labor reported Thursday.

The latest number covers new claims through May 16. The number of new claims in a week peaked at 39,000 in early April and has since been declining.

George Copadis, the commissioner of New Hampshire Employment Security, said Wednesday that 182,000 people have filed for initial claims in the last eight weeks. Over the last five years, a total of 153,000 people filed initial claims.

As of Wednesday, 3,868 people in New Hampshire had tested positive for the virus, an increase of 149 from the previous day. A third of new cases were residents and staff at the Villa Crest nursing home in Manchester, and most of them had no symptoms, health officials said. Eight new deaths were announced, bringing the total to 190.

For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and the infirm, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia or death.

(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)

Latest News

Latest News