Advertisement

Rechargeable battery explosion linked to Greensboro fire

(WSAZ)
Published: Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:46 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

State investigators say a rechargeable battery explosion caused a house fire in Greensboro.

The Greensboro Fire Department responded Monday afternoon to the home on Country Club Road after a report of a smoke alarm activation.

They say the out-of-state homeowner had left about 20 minutes before.

Officials say the fire was quickly put out and only one room in the basement was damaged. They say the owner left a rechargeable, lithium-ion battery for a cordless power tool charging in the basement and that it most likely overcharged and exploded.

Officials recommend that people monitor any rechargeable battery device and also follow the manufacturer's recommendations.