MALONE, N.Y. (WCAX) New York environmental officials say the recent deaths of dozens of geese in a Malone park were caused by a fungal disease and not linked to water quality.
Up to three dozen Canada geese were found dead last week in Rotary Pond at the Malone Recreation Park. After conducting tests, the Department of Environmental Conservation confirmed Thursday that the geese contracted aspergillosis by eating moldy grain.
Officials say aspergillosis is transmitted to waterfowl by the ingestion of moldy grain, such as bread or livestock feed, or agricultural waste. It has been known to cause large-scale deaths in waterfowl but does not present a health risk to humans.
The DEC is asking the public not to feed ducks, geese and other waterfowl.