Police: Claremont standoff suspect fired hundreds of shots

By  | 

CLAREMONT, N.H. (WCAX) Police in Claremont, New Hampshire, say they have arrested a man who was holed up in a house firing shots out the window for nine hours.

Michael Burns

New Hampshire state police are still processing the scene on Hanover Street, about 5 miles east of the Connecticut River.

They say Michael Burns, 55, lives in this house and he's the one who opened fire from inside, creating a tense scene for most of the morning and into the afternoon.

Our Dom Amato has an update.

"Patience really is what we're looking for in these situations," N.H. State Police Col. Chris Wagner said.

Patience is what Wagner says was key Thursday after Burns fired hundreds of rounds from inside his home on Hanover Street.

"This morning at about 5:20 in the morning, Claremont Police Department received calls about shots fired," Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase said.

Chase says dozens of residents had to leave their homes as police closed multiple roads in the busy neighborhood.

"As I was walking from North Street up Barnes to Centennial to turn right to go to my house, I heard four to five shots and then I got up to Centennial and there were three officers who said I can't go home and if I tried to go home they would arrest me," said Matt Yarber, a neighbor.

Yarber lives close to the scene and says he's never seen anything like this in Claremont.

"Actually for this small, tight-knit community it does surprise me that you would have something like this going on. You know, pull out all the big guns and the whole law enforcement," he said.

New Hampshire state police responded to the scene with various tools, including a helicopter which circled the area for hours.

"It's a tremendous amount of resources as the chief said with a situation as dangerous as this was playing out where shots were being fired from a residence and the community at large is in danger," Wagner said.

The standoff lasted about nine hours and ended just before 2:30 p.m. Thursday. Police are still working to tally up the damage from all that gunfire inside and outside of Burns' house.

Officers say the public was great while they worked to get Burns into custody.

"The community at large was really remarkable," Wagner said.

Burns was known to police before Thursday. They say he already had a warrant out for his arrest in connection with three other charges and he's likely to face even more charges for Thursday's standoff.