Sugaring shed fire in Mount Tabor

MOUNT TABOR, Vt. (WCAX) A maple sugaring operation lost its equipment in a fire Thursday.

Courtesy: Briggita Gough/Castleton University

It happed at the Merrow property in Mount Tabor. A shed housing all their stuff to make maple-- including a new hydraulic crane-- went up in flames. It's a total loss.

The owners tried to put out the fire using buckets. By the time the fire department got there, it was too late. They did manage to stop it from spreading to a nearby building.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.

The fire chief says it's possible a three-day-old pile of ashes reignited, sparking the blaze but it's still too early to tell.