Suspect in interstate crash that killed 5 wants trial moved

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) The suspect in a wrong-way crash that killed five teenagers on a Vermont interstate is asking a judge to move a potential trial outside of the county where the crash took place.

Steven Bourgoin-File photo

In documents filed Monday in Vermont Superior Court in Burlington, the attorney for 37-year-old Steven Bourgoin argued that pretrial publicity makes a fair trial impossible in Chittenden County.

The Burlington Free Press reports that defense attorney Bob Katims says media coverage has been "widespread and continuous" and publicity created a bias against Bourgoin.

Chittenden County State's Attorney Sarah George said her office will file a response.

Bourgoin pleaded not guilty to five counts of second-degree murder for the Oct. 8, 2016, crash in Williston, Vermont. Last month, Katims said he would use an insanity defense.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)