YCQM: September 8, 2019

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) GOOD MORNING,
EVERYONE, I'M DARREN PERRON.
RIGHT NOW PRIDE PARADE.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT AT THE
FESTIVAL CELEBRATING THE LGBT
COMMUNITY AND WHY THIS YEAR IS
IMPORTANT AS IT HONORS A PIVOTAL
TURNING POINT IN THE GAY RIGHTS
MOVEMENT.
>>> ALSO, SHOULD YOU WEAR WHITE
AFTER LABOR DAY.
TIPS ON THE ETIQUETTE FROM THE
EMILY POST INSTITUTE.
ALSO A CHECKUP WITH THE STATE
COMMISSIONER.
>>> PLANNED PARENTHOOD PULLED
OUT OF THE TITLE X FEDERAL
FUNDING PROGRAM SAYING IT WILL
COMPLY WITH NEW RULES FROM THE
TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.
GUIDELINES SAY HEALTHCARE
PROVIDERS RECEIVING THAT MONEY
FROM GIVING ABORTION REFERRALS
TO PARENTS AS PART OF FAMILY
PLOONING SERVICES.
TITLE X FUNDS CONTRIBUTED TO
MORE THAN $10 MILLION OF CARE TO
10,000 LOW-INCOME VERMONTERS.
>>> PLUS, AS STUDENTS HEAD BACK
TO SCHOOL, WE GET AN UPDATE ON
THE MEASLES OUTBREAK AND THE
LATEST ON A SPIKE IN STDs FRT
VERMONT HEALTH COMMISSIONER,
DR. MARK LEVINE.
THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.
LET'S BEGIN WITH THE LOSS OF
TITLE 10 MONEY.
THE STATE IS NOW COVERING THAT
LOSS, ABOUT $1 MILLION.
WHY IS THE STATE STEPPING IN?
>> Mark Levine: WELL, WE WANT TO
CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES
TO THE APPROXIMATELY 10,000
VERMONTERS WHO HAVE RELIED ON
THE TITLE 10 MONEY TO HAVE
FAMILY PLANNING AND REPRODUCTIVE
HEALTH SERVICES PROVIDED.
UNLESS WE STEPPED IN, THAT WAS
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN BECAUSE WE
WERE OPTING OUT OF THE TITLE 10
FUNDING.
>> Darren: AND THE REASON FOR
THAT BEING THAT PROVIDERS WERE
SIMPLY EVEN UNABLE TO MENTION
THE WORD "ABORTION." WHAT WAS
THE REASONING?
>> Mark Levine: SO, THERE WERE
NEW RULES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS
CALLED THE FINAL RULE, WHICH
BASICALLY DID ALLOW YOU TO
MENTION THE WORD, BUT YOU COULD
NOT REFER FOR SERVICES FOR MAKE
THAT PART OF YOUR PLANNING WITH
YOUR PATIENT.
SO SOME PEOPLE HAVE TERMED THAT
A GAG RULE, BUT YOU COULD
MENTION THE WORD DURING AN
ENCOUNTER.
BUT IT REALLY DID UNDERMINE
DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP.
IT UNDERMINED CONFIDENTIALITY.
IT REALLY DIDN'T SERVE ANYONE'S
PURPOSE WELL FROM WHAT WE COULD
SEE.
WE WERE REALLY CONCERNED THAT A
LOT OF VERMONTERS WHO WERE
RELYING ON THIS FOR THEIR
SERVICES WOULDN'T GET THEM
BECAUSE THEIR HEALTHCARE
PROFESSIONALS WOULD BE PUT IN A
VERY DIFFICULT POSITION, WHERE
THEY WERE WORKING AGAINST THEIR
OWN MEDICAL JUDGMENT AND
TRAINING AND, AT TIMES, FEELING
LIKE THEY COULD NOT PRACTICE
ETHICALLY.
THE OTHER PART OF THAT IS, AS
YOU KNOW, THE STATE LEGISLATURE
PASSED A LAW SEVERAL MONTHS AGO
REGARDING ABORTION SERVICES AND
PRESERVATION OF THAT AS AN
OPTION WITHIN THE STATE OF
VERMONT.
IF A PRACTITIONER WAS ACTUALLY
USING THE TITLE 10 FUNDING
MONEY, THEY WOULD ACTUALLY BE
VIOLATING VERMONT LAW AS WELL.
>> Darren: A LOT OF FOLKS AT
HOME MAY BE WONDERING NOW THAT
STATE MONEY IS BEING USED TO
REPLACE THIS TITLE 10 MONEY, THE
FEDERAL MONEY.
WILL TAXPAYER MONEY BE USED NOW
TO FUND ABORTIONS IF SOMEBODY IS
COMING IN SEEKING THAT SERVICE?
>> Mark Levine: GLAD YOU
MENTIONED THAT BECAUSE THE
ORIGINAL TITLE 10 MONEY ALONE
WAS NEVER MEANT FOR FUNDING THE
PROVISION OF ABORTION SERVICES.
IT WAS ONLY FOR THE COUNSELLING
AND THE FAMILY PLANNING AND
REPRODUCTIVE SERVICES THAT WERE
DESIGNATED.
NONE OF THAT WILL CHANGE AND THE
MONEY THAT WE'RE APPORTIONING
FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF THE TITLE
X MONEY IS NOT GOING TO GO TO
PROVIDING ABORTION SERVICES.
>> Darren: HOW LONG WILL THIS
MONEY LAST AND THEN WHAT?
>> Mark Levine: SO THE MONEY
BEGINS A LITTLE BIT
RETROACTIVELY ON JULY 1 AND WILL
GO THROUGH NEXT JUNE 30 OF 2020.
AFTER THAT POINT IN TIME, WE'LL
HAVE TO SEE WHAT THE LANDSCAPE
LOOKS LIKE.
AS YOU MAY BE AWARE THERE IS A
LOT OF LITIGATION GOING ON
AROUND TITLE X.
VERMONT IS PART OF A SUIT WITH
OTHER STATES.
WE HAVE TO SEE HOW ALL OF THAT
PLAYS OUT.
ASSUMING NOTHING CHANGES BY JUNE
30 OF NEXT YEAR, THE STATE WOULD
HAVE TO BEGIN CONSIDERING
WHETHER TO USE THE BUDGET
PROCESS TO APPORTION NEW MONEYS
FOR THIS.
>> Darren: AS KIDS HEAD BACK TO
SCHOOL, OBVIOUSLY THE MEASLES
OUTBREAK IS STILL A BIG CONCERN.
MORE THAN 1200 CASES SO FAR THIS
YEAR.
WHERE ARE WE IN VERMONT?
HAVE WE SEEN A CASE OF MEASLES?
>> Mark Levine: WE HAVE YET TO
SEE A CASE OF MEASLES.
WE'VE TAKEN BLOOD FROM A NUMBER
OF PEOPLE IN VERMONT WHO HAD
VERY COMPELLING STORIES AND
ADMISSIONS APPROPRIATELY FELT
THEY MIGHT HAVE THE MEASLES, BUT
THAT DID NOT PAN OUT.
IT'S KIND OF MIRACULOUS BECAUSE
AS YOU KNOW, THE MAJOR EPIDEMIC
IN THE COUNTRY IS RIGHT NEXT
DOOR IN NEW YORK, CLOSER TO NEW
YORK CITY, BUT PRESENT THERE.
MASSACHUSETTS AND NEW HAMPSHIRE
HAVE REPORTED CASES.
WE'VE HAD ALERTS FROM THE
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC, ONE IN
GRANBY, ANOTHER IN MONTREAL.
SO IT'S NOTHING SHORT OF
MIRACULOUS THAT WE HAVEN'T SEEN
A CASE.
WE'RE DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN
ACROSS THE STATE TO MAKE SURE
THAT THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN
TERMS OF GETTING THE IMMUNITY OF
THE STATE UP.
>> Darren: YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
VACCINATIONS.
SO WHERE ARE WE WITH VACCINATION
RATES?
BECAUSE MOST OF THE CASES THAT
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HAVE BEEN
WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE
UNVACCINATIONED AGAINST MEASLES.
>> Mark Levine: YES.
AROUND THE COUNTRY, THE VAST
MAJORITY HAVE BEEN
UNVACCINATIONED PEOPLE.
USUALLY CASES COMING IN FROM
OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD WHERE
THERE MAY BE MORE PROBLEMS THAN
WE'RE EXPERIENCING IN OUR
COUNTRY RIGHT NOW.
WHEN A CASE COMES INTO THE
COUNTRY AND THAT INDIVIDUAL IS
PART OF A COMMUNITY OF
UNDERVACCINATIONED INDIVIDUALS,
LIKE HAPPENED IN MANY PARTS OF
OUR COUNTRY, THE DISEASE CAN
SPREAD VERY QUICKLY BECAUSE IT'S
ONE OF THE MOST CONTAGIOUS
DISEASES.
YOU CAN GO INTO A ROOM WHERE A
PERSON WAS TWO HOURS AND IF YOU
INHALE A DROPLET, YOU MIGHT
CATCH THE MEASLES IF THE PERSON
IS NOT IN THE ROOM WHILE YOU'RE
THERE.
IT'S VERY CONTAGIOUS AND THE
POPULATION OF INDIVIDUALS WHO
ARE UNDERVACCINATED COULD BE
SUSCEPTIBLE.
>> Darren: SOMEHOW DANGEROUS IS
IT?
>> Mark Levine: I THINK MEASLES
HAS BEEN UNDERPLAYED BECAUSE
IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE PEOPLE
HAD REAL EXPERIENCE WITH IT.
MANY PEOPLE WHO GRADUATED FROM
MEDICAL SCHOOLS HAVE NEVER SEEN
A CASE AND SOME OF THEIR
TEACHERS HAVE NEVER SEEN A CASE.
BUT BACK WHEN THE MEASLES WAS A
SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM, THERE WERE
THOUSANDS OF HOSPITALIZATIONS
EVERY YEAR.
THERE WERE HUNDREDS, 500 TO
1,000 DEATHS PER YEAR.
COMPLICATIONS OF MEASLES.
MEASLES IS NOT A GREAT THING TO
HAVE.
YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE GOT THE FLU
AND ON TOP OF THAT YOU'VE GOT A
RASH AND YOU'RE COUGHING A LOT.
IN THE MIDST OF ALL OF THAT YOU
CAN HAVE SOME COMPLICATIONS THAT
ARE ARISE -- RESPIRATORY OR
CEPHALITIS.
THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE DON'T
UNDERSTATE BUT COULD OCCUR.
>> Darren: WE TALKED EARLIER
ABOUT A SPIKE IN SEXUALLY
TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS,
PARTICULARLY GONORRHOEA AND
CHLAMYDIA.
BACK IN 2008, 38 CASES.
250 AS OF MAY OF EARLIER THIS
YEAR.
ARE WE GETTING A HANDLE ON THIS?
>> Mark Levine: RIGHT.
SO LAST YEAR THERE WERE ABOUT
2,000 CASES OF CHLAMYDIA IN
VERMONT AND 200 OR SO OF
GONORRHOEA.
NATION-WIDE IT HAS BEEN
SIMILARLY AN EXPLOSIVE OUTBREAK.
WE'RE TALKING CLOSER TO A
MILLION CASES.
SO WE'RE PROVIDING A VERY SMALL
PROPORTION OF THOSE CASES,
NEEDLESS TO SAY.
BUT WE HAVE GEARED UP, AS MUCH
AS WE CAN, IN TERMS OF PUBLIC
EDUCATION, IN TERMS OF
SURVEILLANCE ACTIVITIES, IN
TERMS OF NEW STAFF WHO ARE
DEDICATED TO THAT.
WE'RE PROVIDING MORE OF WHAT'S
CALLED PARTNER -- EXPEDITED
PARTNER TREATMENT BECAUSE IT'S A
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE, SO
NOT ONLY DO YOU WANT TO HELP THE
INDIVIDUAL WHO PRESENTS TO THE
HEALTHCARE SETTING BUT YOU WOULD
LIKE TO HELP ANYONE THAT
INDIVIDUAL WAS IN CONTACT WITH
SEXUALLY.
SO THERE'S A LOT GOING ON, ON
THOSE FRONTS.
THERE'S ALSO A LOT GOING ON ON
THE ANTIBIOTIC FRONT, MORE SO
WITH GONORRHOEA THAN CHLAMYDIA
BECAUSE GONORRHOEA HAS A NASTY
TENDENCY OF BECOMING RESISTANT
TO THE ANTIBIOTICS THAT HAVE
BEEN TIME-HONORED IN TREATING
IT.
SO THERE ARE VERY SPECIFIC
REGIMENS THAT THE CENTER FOR
DISEASE CONTROL ARE ADVOCATING
AT THIS POINT IN TIME AND THEY
WATCH THIS CLOSELY BECAUSE OF
THE EMERGENCE OF RESISTANCE.
>> Darren: YOU CAN FIND MORE
INFORMATION BY READING ABOUT
THESE TOPICS ON OUR WEBSITE.
>>> STILL AHEAD, DID YOU PUT
AWAY YOUR SUMMER WHITES AFTER
LABOR DAY?
NOT SO FAST.
>>> AND BURLINGTON IS GETTING
SET FOR PRIDE LATER TODAY.
FIND OUT WHY THE FESTIVAL IS
STILL IMPORTANT.
YOU'RE WATCHING "YOU CAN QUOTE
ME." BACK IN A MOMENT.
>> Darren: VERMONT'S CLEAN CITY
IS GETTING SET FOR A BIG PARTY
TODAY.
IT'S PRIDE.
THOUSANDS WILL LINE CHURCH
STREET TO WATCH THE PARADE AND
HEAD TO BATTERY PARK FOR THE BIG
FESTIVAL CELEBRATING THE LGBT2
COMMUNITY AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
MADE BY THE COMMUNITY.
TO FIND OUT WHAT WE CAN EXPECT,
I'M JOINED NOW BY A COUPLE OF
ORGANIZERS AND STARS OF THE
PRIDE CELEBRATION.
NIKKI CHAMPAGNE AND THE EMOJI
NIGHTMARE.
>> IF YOU FOR HAVING US.
>> Darren: TELL US WHAT WE CAN
EXPECT LATER TODAY.
>> A FUN DAY.
YOU WANT TO GET A LITTLE EARLY
BECAUSE IT GETS CROWDED, BUT WE
EXPECT THE PARADE TO START GOING
UP CHURCH STREET AT 12:30, THEN
LEFT ON TO PEARL STREET, AND
ENDING AT THE PARK WHERE THE
FESTIVAL TAKES PLACE.
WE HAVE SO MANY VENDORS, 50
VENDORS IN THE PARK.
WE'VE GOT THREE HOURS OF
ENTERTAINMENT.
WE HAVE DRAG PERFORMERS,
BURLESQUE STARS, COMEDIANS.
>> Darren: REASON ENOUGH TO
SHOW UP.
>> I AGREE WITH THAT.
>> Darren: SO I'VE SEEN THIS
GROW OVER THE YEARS FROM A
PRETTY SMALL FESTIVAL TO A
REALLY BIG ONE TODAY.
WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?
>> WELL, PRIDE IS NECESSARY.
WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE
OUR AUTHENTICITY AND OUR ABILITY
TO BE OURSELVES HERE IN OUR
COMMUNITY.
BURLINGTON IS JUST SUCH A
BEAUTIFUL PLACE, WHICH IS WHY WE
MOVE IT INTO SEPTEMBER.
WE NEED SOME BETTER WEATHER SO
WE CAN SPORT ALL THESE FANTASTIC
OUTFITS.
>> Darren: LET'S TALK ABOUT WHY
IT IS STILL NECESSARY.
SOME ARGUE THAT THERE HAS BEEN
SUCH PROGRESS ON GAY RIGHTS OVER
THE YEARS.
WE HAVE GAY MARRIAGE.
WORKPLACE EQUALITY AND THE LIKE.
WHY IS PRIDE SO NECESSARY STILL?
>> WELL, WHAT WE'RE ALSO SEEING
RIGHT NOW ON A NATIONAL SCALE IS
INCREASED HATE AND BIAS AGAINST
THE LGBT2 COMMUNITY, WHETHER
THROUGH PHYSICAL THREATS OR
ONLINE TARGETING AND BULLYING OR
JUST IN INTERPERSONAL
RELATIONSHIPS THAT FOLKS ARE
TRYING TO BE THEMSELVES IN THEIR
COMMUNITY AND ARE CONSTANTLY
FACING THAT HATE AND VIOLENCE.
>> Darren: WE'VE ACTUALLY
REPORTED ON ALLEGED HATE CRIMES
HERE.
A GAY COUPLE'S PRIDE FLAG WAS
BURNED ON THEIR PORCH.
THAT IS STILL UNRESOLVED.
POLICE STILL LOOKING FOR A MAN.
AND SOME NON-PROFITS SERVING THE
LGBT2 COMMUNITY HAVE RECEIVED
HATE COMMENTS AS WELL.
ARE YOU SEEING THIS COME TO THE
PRIDE CENTER THAT MAY NOT RISE
TO THE LEVEL OF POLICE
INVOLVEMENT?
>> THERE IS A PROGRAM THAT
TRACKS HATE AND BIAS CRIMES
AGAINST VERMONT.
WHAT WE'VE BEEN SEEING IS MORE
AND MORE CASES OF BIAS AND HATE
CRIMES TOWARDS OUR COMMUNITY,
WHETHER WORKPLACE
DISCRIMINATION, TRYING TO ACCESS
SERVICES SUCH AS HEALTHCARE OR
OTHER MEANS WHERE FOLKS ARE
CONSTANTLY BEING PUSHED OUT THE
DOOR.
>> Darren: I WANT TO GET YOUR
TAKE ON SOMETHING ELSE.
JUST RECENTLY A STRAIGHT PRIDE
PARADE WAS HELD IN BOSTON.
IT WAS MEANT TO BE A COUNTERPART
TO GAY PRIDE PARADES.
AND A FEW PARTICIPANTS, BUT MORE
PROTESTERS.
ORGANIZERS SAY STRAIGHT PEOPLE
ARE THE MINORITY.
THEY SAY HOMOSEXUALITY IS BEING
PUSHED ON THEM AND YOUNG PEOPLE.
YOUR REACTION TO THIS AND WHY
YOU SAY GAY PRIDE PARADES ARE
STILL NEEDED?
>> FIRST AND FOREMOST EVERYONE
IN A MARGINALIZED COMMUNITY ARE
SEEING THEIR RIGHTS STRIPPED
BACK AND BACK IN TIME.
IN YOUR LAST SEGMENT ABOUT
WOMEN'S RIGHTS, THEY'RE UP --
THEY'RE ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK
AND WE'RE NOT IMMUNE TO THAT AND
THERE IS INTERSECTIONALITY AS
WELL.
I WOULD SAY THE FACT THAT THERE
WERE MORE COUNTER PROTESTERS
THAN ALLIES IN THE LGBT2
COMMUNITY IN THAT STRAIGHT PRIDE
IS TRUE AND IT SHOWS YOU THE
TRUE NEED OF THE STRAIGHT PRIDE
AND HETEROPHOBIA IS NOT A THING.
>> IT MAY HAVE BEEN LABELLED AS
A STRAIGHT PRIDE EVENT, BUT WHAT
WE SEE MORE AND MORE IS A WHITE
SUPREMACIST EVENT AND AN EVENT
FILLED AND HATE FOR THE MINORITY
COMMUNITIES.
>> Darren: THAT FALLS ON THE
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE
STONEWALL RIOTS.
THAT WAS REALLY THE CATALYST IN
THE GAY RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
THAT'S WHEN MEMBERS FOUGHT BACK
AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY AND
HOMOPHOBIA, RIOTING IN THE
STREETS TO STAND THEIR GROUND.
HOW SIGNIFICANT IS IT THAT IT'S
50 YEARS LATER?
>> 50 YEARS AND I THINK EMOJI
SAID IT WELL.
WE HAVE GAINED SO MUCH OVER THE
PAST FEW YEARS, BUT THAT DOESN'T
MEAN WE CAN STAY SETTLED OR
SILENT IN ALL OF THIS.
IN AN ABILITY FOR US TO MAINTAIN
OUR RIGHTS AND KEEP MOVING
FORWARD SO THAT ALL MEMBERS OF
THE LGBT2 COMMUNITY HAVE THAT
SAFETY MEANS WE STILL HAVE TO
CELEBRATE PRIDE AND SHOW OUR
VISIBILITY AND BE OUT AND PROUD.
>> Darren: YOU WILL BE LATER
TODAY.
CHANNEL 3 WILL BE THERE AS WELL.
WE'VE GOT A FLOAT IN THE PARADE.
>> WE ALWAYS LOOK TOWARDS TO THE
WCAX.
>> Darren: THANK YOU SO MUCH.
NICE TO SEE YOU.
>>> STILL AHEAD THIS MORNING,
WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY, YES OR
NO.
FIND OUT.
[\M\M\M]
.
>> Darren: TRADITIONALLY
SPEAKING, THIS IS THE TIME OF
YEAR WHEN WEARING WHITE BECOMES
A MAJOR FASHION FAUX PAS, BUT IT
TURNS OUT THE NO WHITE AFTER
LABOR DAY RULE ISN'T SO BLACK
AND WHITE.
IT BEGAN LONG BEFORE WE HAD AC
IN OUR HOMES.
COOLER, WHITE CLOTHES WERE
CONVENIENT IN THE HOTTER MONTHS
AND WHITE DIDN'T STAND UP IN THE
COLDER SEASON.
IT WAS WORN AT RESORTS AND
THINGS LIKE THAT AND REPLACED
WITH THE DARKER, WINTER ATTIRE
WHEN PEOPLE RETURNED FROM
VACATIONS.
THEN IT CAME OUT AGAIN.
PEOPLE WORE IT SHOWING THEY HAD
ENOUGH MONEY TO VACATION.
DOES THAT RULE STILL APPLY?
FIND OUT.
I'M JOINED BY ETIQUETTE EXPERT
FROM THE EMILY POST INSTITUTE,
DANIEL POST SENNING.
>> Daniel Post Senning: GOOD TO
SEE YOU.
>> Darren: I WAS GOING TO WEAR
WHITE BUT I WASN'T SURE.
TELL US, WHAT IS UP WITH THIS
RULE?
>> Daniel Post Senning: YOU GAVE
A GOOD SUMMATION OF THE HISTORY,
ONCE UPON A TIME AT THE TURN OF
THE CENTURY, 17 TO 1900s WHEN
WHITE STYLES WERE MORE COMMON
THAN THEY ARE TODAY.
THE LABOR DAY MARKED THE END OF
SUMMER.
YOU PUT AWAY YOUR TENNIS WHITES
AND RETURNED TO YOUR CITY HOME
AND FALL ATTIRE.
THAT RULE WASN'T STRICTLY
OBSERVED EVEN WHEN IT WAS
INVENTED.
FASHION HAS ALWAYS BEEN A
CHOICE, FEELING COMFORTABLE WITH
WHAT YOU'RE WEARING, BUT ALSO
RESPECTING THE NORMS OF THE
COMMUNITY THAT YOU OPERATE IN.
SO THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS
CHOSE TO BE OUTLIERS EVEN WHEN
THAT WAS STRICTLY OBSERVED.
THERE IS A QUESTION OF CHOICE
THAT'S IMPORTANT HERE.
AT THE SAME TIME THERE'S ALSO A
QUESTION OF RESPECTING THE NORMS
OF YOUR COMMUNITY AND OBSERVING
THOSE NORMS IS ONE WAY TO SHOW
RESPECT, TO PARTICIPATE, TO FIT
IN.
SO WHETHER YOU HAVE TO DO IT OR
NOT, WELL, I DON'T THINK YOU
EVER HAD TO.
BUT IT'S AN OPPORTUNITY IN SOME
WAYS.
>> Darren: I FOUND IT
INTERESTING, YOU AND I WERE
CHATTING WHEN WE WERE SETTING
THIS INTERVIEW UP, THAT THE
EMILY POST INSTITUTE, THIS IS
ONE OF THE BIGGEST QUESTIONS
THAT YOU FOLKS GET.
>> Daniel Post Senning: IT IS.
IT IS A COMMON SEARCH TERM THAT
DRIVES PEOPLE TO OUR WEBSITE,
PARTICULARLY AT THIS TIME OF THE
YEAR, BUT IT COMES UP EVERY
YEAR.
IT'S ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR
SEARCH TERMS WHEN PEOPLE LAND ON
OUR SITE.
IF YOU WERE TO LOOK AT THE
GOOGLE ANALYTICS RECORDS AT
EMILYPOST.COM, YOU'RE GOING TO
SEE WHITE AND LABOR DAY IN THE
TOP 20 SEARCHES.
>> Darren: FASHION DESIGNERS
MOST LAUGHED AT THIS.
EVEN IN THE EARLY 20s, COCO
CHANEL SAID THAT DIDN'T APPLY TO
HER FASHION.
AND EVERYONE LOOKS TO THE
DESIGNERS AND THE MAGAZINE AND
WHAT THEY SELL AND WHAT SHOULD I
BE WEARING FOR ADVICE.
WHY DID THIS ONE STICK?
>> Daniel Post Senning: FASHION
SHOULD BE FUN, BUT ETIQUETTE
SHOULD BE PRACTICAL.
I THINK THE REASON WHY THIS
PARTICULAR CONCEPT HAS STUCK IN
PEOPLE'S MINDS THAT IT'S
FUNCTIONAL IN A FUNDAMENTAL WAY.
YOU DO KIND OF MARK THE END OF
SUMMER AROUND LABOR DAY.
HERE IN VERMONT THAT MIGHT MEAN
IT'S TIME TO PUT AWAY THE
FLOATIES AND THE SWIM WEAR AND
TAKE OUT THE SWEAT SHIRTS AND
SWEATERS AND FALL WEIGHT
JACKETS.
IT'S NOT A NO WHITE AFTER LABOR
DAY RULE, BUT IT'S A MARKING OF
THE PASSAGE OF TIME THAT IS, IN
SOME WAYS, REALLY USEFUL,
PARTICULARLY IN A PLACE WHERE
THE SEASONS CHANGE.
>> Darren: SO WHAT'S YOUR
ADVICE, THE NO WHITE RULE
HISTORY?
>> Daniel Post Senning: PLAY
WITH IT AND HAVE FUN WITH IT.
DON'T FEEL CONSTRAINED OR
CONFINED BY SOME ARBITRARY CODE
OF CONDUCT THAT MIGHT OR MIGHT
NOT APPLY TO YOU.
ALWAYS THINK ABOUT THE REASONING
BEHIND THE BEHAVIOR.
IF IT'S CONSIDERATE, RESPECTFUL,
HONEST IT'S GOING TO BE GOOD, NO
MATTER WHATEVER YOU'RE WEARING.
>> Darren: I WONDER IF YOU HAVE
ANY OTHER PERENNIAL ISSUES THAT
POP UP LIKE THIS ISSUE?
>> Daniel Post Senning: WE HAVE
A LITTLE COMPETITION AT THE
INSTITUTE WHEN WE GET QUESTIONS
ABOUT CERTAIN TOPICS EVERY YEAR.
HOLIDAY TIPPING IS ONE THAT
STARTS TO PERCOLATE IN PEOPLE'S
MINDS AT THE END OF SUMMER.
IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT A
HOLIDAY TIP FOR PEOPLE TO
PROVIDE SERVICES FOR YOU,
WHETHER IT'S A SALON THAT YOU
FREQUENT REGULARLY OR THE PERSON
WHO PLOWS YOUR DRIVEWAY, NOW IS
A GOOD TIME TO BUDGET THOSE
ANNUAL TIPS INTO YOUR HOLIDAY
SPENDING.
IT'S A TOPIC THAT COMES UP EVERY
YEAR AND YOU ASK ME ABOUT IT AT
THE RIGHT TIME TO GET READY.
>> Darren: YOU'RE ASKING ABOUT
WHETHER YOU SHOULD TIP THOSE
FOLKS OR BUY GIFTS FOR THOSE
FOLKS?
>> Daniel Post Senning: MAYBE
THERE'S SOMEONE WHO PROVIDES
CHILD CARE IN YOUR HOME AND
YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE THEM AN
ANNUAL TIP, THE EQUIVALENT OF
PAYMENT OF SERVICE, YOU WANT TO
START BUDGETING THAT INTO YOUR
HOLIDAY BUDGETING AS EARLY AS
POSSIBLE SO YOU'RE REALLY READY
WHEN DECEMBER ROLLS AROUND.
>> Darren: DANIEL, NICE TO TALK
TO YOU.
WE ALWAYS APPRECIATE KEEPING UP
ON OUR ETIQUETTE AROUND HERE.
>> Daniel Post Senning: NICE TO
BE HERE.
>> Darren: THAT WILL DO IT FOR
CHANNEL 3'S "YOU CAN QUOTE ME."
TAKE CARE AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Captioning provided by
Caption Associates, LLC
www.captionassociates.com