BARRE, Vt. An unexpected but persistent drizzle brought an early end to Casella Waste Systems Night at Barre’s Thunder Road on Thursday, June 14 just five laps into the Maplewood/Irving Late Model main event. The showers, which were not on the weather radar, arrived in earnest during a red flag for a multi-car pile-up entering turn 1. Barre’s Jason Corliss was the leader at the time the event was halted.
The Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tiger and Burnett Scrap Metals Road Warrior features were also postponed as a result of the weather. The remainder of the Late Model feature will be run at the beginning of North Country Federal Credit Union Night next Thursday, June 21. The make-up dates for the Flying Tiger and Road Warrior features will be announced at a later date.
Prior to the rain, Essex Jct.’s Matthew Smith continued a different kind of reign atop the Allen Lumber Street Stocks by taking his second win of the season. Smith came from 14th on the starting grid to get around the outside of polesitter Scott Weston on lap 20 of the 25-lap feature. He then pulled away in the closing laps for the victory.
Hardwick’s Weiner Hennequin followed Smith up the outside for second, while Middlesex’s Logan Powers ended up third as Weston got shuffled. Tim Hunt, Tyler Pepin, Weston, rookie Trevor Rossi, Jamie Davis, Michael Gay, and rookie Bryan P. Wall rounded out the top-10.
The event was marred by a lap-4 crash that saw Lyndonville’s Dean Switser Jr. go barrel-rolling at least five times off the top of turn 1. Switser was not injured in the accident.
Milton’s Norm Cyr held off West Warren, MA’s Curt Snow to win the Cho Lee Memorial for the New England Antique Racers (NEAR) Sportsmen division. Norwalk, CT’s Butch Burbank took the Modified feature over Rick MacDowell and Butch Burbank.
Thunder Road returns to action next Thursday, June 21 at 7:00pm with North Country Federal Credit Union Night. The Allen Lumber Street Stocks take to the high banks with a 50-lap feature in the Twin State Street Stock Series opener. The Maplewood/Irving Oil Late Models will complete their Casella feature followed by a full night of championship competition. The Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers will also be on the card. Admission is $12 for adults, $3 for kids ages 6-12, and $25 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids).
For more information, contact the Thunder Road offices at (802) 244-6963, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.thunderroadvt.com.
CASELLA WASTE SYSTEMS NIGHT
ALLEN LUMBER STREET STOCKS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Matthew Smith ( 44 ) Essex Jct., VT
2. William Hennequin ( 47 ) Hardwick, VT
3. Logan Powers ( 31 ) Middlesex, VT
4. Tim Hunt ( 93 ) Derby, VT
5. #Tyler Pepin ( 78 ) Barre, VT
6. Scott Weston ( 04 ) Berlin, VT
7. #Trevor Rossi ( 54 ) Washington, VT
8. Jamie Davis ( 43 ) Wolcott, VT
9. Michael Gay ( 3 ) So. Burlington, VT
10. #Bryan P. Wall ( 77 ) E. Kingston, NH
11. #Juan Marshall ( 79 ) Pittsfield, VT
12. #Keenan Laclair ( 10 ) St. Albans, VT
13. Justin Blakely ( 17 ) Graniteville, VT
14. Brandon Gray ( 00 ) E. Thetford, VT
15. Gary Mullen ( 29 ) Tunbridge, VT
16. Jeffrey Martin ( 8 ) Barre, VT
17. Kasey Beattie ( 45 ) St. Johnsbury, VT
18. #J.T. Blanchard ( 66 ) Graniteville, VT
19. Stephen Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT
20. Justin Town ( 53 ) Barre, VT
21. Patrick Tibbetts ( 48 ) Barre, VT
22. Dean Switser Jr. ( 16 ) Lyndonville, VT
Courtesy: Thunder Road Speedbowl