BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Want to join our team? WCAX is hiring an Engineering Technician.
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first- or second-highest-rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WCAX is the original and leading station in the Burlington-Plattsburgh market. We paved the way for TV in this whole area of the country. We are a station of innovators. If you are the person who will help us inform, educate, entertain and delight an audience of more than 750,000 people, then you need to send your resume to us right now.
Take this opportunity to build your career in a place people come from all over the world to enjoy. Ski at some of the best-known resorts in America in the winter and hike, boat and play outdoors in the summer. The Burlington, Vermont, area is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Maybe you'll find yourself at the top of the Green Mountains in Vermont or Adirondacks in New York. Then again, the foodie culture of downtown Burlington may whet your appetite for delicious traditional favorites or haute cuisine. Perhaps you'll be the one who finally captures a clear image of "Champ," the mythical prehistoric monster (like that other one in Loch Ness, Scotland) said to live in beautiful Lake Champlain.
This full-time position is responsible for day-to-day hands-on maintenance of the technical infrastructure at WCAX. The Engineering Technician will work closely with the Chief Engineer, as well as the other Department Heads. The position will support broadcast-centric software and hardware as well as traditional desktop and file and print services. He/She will respond quickly to provide technical support for News, Sales, Production and other operations. Must be able to think on their feet, work well with others, be a self-starter, and a team player that is focused on quality customer service for internal employees.
•Assist in engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio equipment support, transmitter maintenance, editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/recorded events & programs
• Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in and assist in emergency situations
• Performs regular maintenance tasks including repairs, equipment replacement, supplies, etc.
• Documents and executes necessary corrective actions
• Ensures all transmission equipment is operating correctly before and during live event telecasts - corrects and documents technical problems and reports them to the managers
• Maintains station live vehicles, including satellite trucks
• Maintains building needs
• Have working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems
• Familiar with networking routing and IP addressing
• Must be available to work during breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates.
• Display and maintain professional appearance, based on station standards and professional demeanor
• Must have a background / previous working experience in engineering
• 2-3 years of professional or broadcast experience. Strong leadership skills and ability to operate in high-pressure situations
• A bachelor's degree in engineering or related is preferred but is not required
• Commanding knowledge of broadcast video equipment and techniques
• Ability to learn and adapt quickly to all work situations
• Professional, communicative, highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and focused individual traits
• Must have & maintain a clean driving record
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.