BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Want to join our team? WCAX is hiring a News Assignment Manager.
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first- or second-highest-rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
If you believe in the importance of journalism to the life of our communities and our republic, you will have the opportunity to live that commitment out at WCAX. We are on our way to being the best TV station in America, and if that sounds like the team you'd like to play for, then we want you. But be warned: we like what we do. It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle. If you live this work-- if you can't help but do it-- you might find some friends here. We'll enable your addiction to television, to digital, to news.
WCAX is the original and leading station in the Burlington-Plattsburgh market. We paved the way for TV in this whole area of the country. We are a station of innovators. If you are the person who will help us inform, educate, entertain and delight an audience of more than 750,000 people, then you need to send your resume and reel to us right now.
Take this opportunity to build your career in a place people come from all over the world to enjoy. Ski at some of the best-known resorts in America in the winter and hike, boat and play outdoors in the summer. The Burlington, Vermont, area is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Maybe you'll find yourself at the top of the Green Mountains in Vermont or Adirondacks in New York. Then again, the foodie culture of downtown Burlington may whet your appetite for delicious traditional favorites or haute cuisine. Perhaps you'll be the one who finally captures a clear image of "Champ," the mythical prehistoric monster (like that other one in Loch Ness, Scotland) said to live in beautiful Lake Champlain.
WCAX is looking for an aggressive, experienced assignment editor with solid news judgment who can juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and adjust to a constantly changing environment. The ideal candidate must be the calm in the chaos while evaluating resources, making good decisions and communicating clearly and effectively under deadline.
The Assignment Manager is responsible for recognizing, assigning and coordinating all broadcast coverage needs, including supervising all reporters and field crews while on assignment and aiding producers in cultivating and confirming content over the course of the day. The Assignment Manager assists reporters and producers with story development and structure, and coordinates all logistics as coverage needs demand, including planning travel and communication with crews while on assignment.
Successful candidates will be able to generate original stories and develop follow-up content for upcoming multiplatform distribution. Accurate and consistent updating of information on the assignment desk planning grid is paramount. The assignment manager must maintain contact lists and story files, as well as develop new contacts with government agencies (city, state, federal) and public relations representatives.
• Lead and participate in editorial and futures planning meetings
• Generate and pitch story ideas
• Create, gather, develop, confirm and set up news coverage using multiple resources and all digital platforms
• Dispatch news teams to breaking news and all coverage assignments, as needed
• Manage logistics for all coverage assignments, as needed
• Post assignments in newsroom planning grid, providing specific details and updates for all assignments
• Track and communicate development of news stories and events
• Work with broadcast and digital producers for coordinated coverage
• Work with reporters and producers on story treatment
• Develop and maintain news contacts and sources
• Keep newsroom contact list updated
• Engage in short- and long-term planning and maintain planning calendar
• Answer telephone calls and emails from the public and viewers
• Collaborate with network assignment desks and other affiliates via phone and email, as needed
• Upload and share video with field teams, affiliates, sister stations and/or the Network, as requested
• Offer positive leadership as a member of the news management team, working to continue the strategic and budgetary goals of the news department
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Work morning, evening, weekends or holidays, as required
• 2+ years of newsroom experience; management experience is a plus
• Bachelor's degree: Communications, Journalism or related field required
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics, maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Extensive knowledge of newsgathering operations and procedures
• Strong research skills, including conducting online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Advanced knowledge of social media and digital platforms
• Knowledge of television market, geography and issues
• Ability to maintain multiple modes of communication and coordinate multiple issues during breaking news and other stressful situations
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
• Willing to work flexible hours and work well with coworkers
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.