BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Political News Reporter
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
If you believe in the importance of journalism to the life of our communities and our republic, you will have the opportunity to live that commitment out at WCAX. We are on our way to being the best TV station in America, and if that sounds like the team you'd like to play for, then we want you. But be warned: we like what we do. It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle. If you live this work - if you can't help but do it - you might find some friends here. We'll enable your addiction to television, to digital, to news. WCAX is the original and leading station in the Burlington-Plattsburgh market. We paved the way for TV in this whole area of the country. We are a station of innovators. If you are the person who will help us inform, educate, entertain and delight an audience of more than 750,000 people, then you need to send your resume and reel to us right now. Take this opportunity to build your career in a place people come from all over the world to enjoy. Ski at some of the best-known resorts in America in the winter and hike, boat and play outdoors in the summer. The Burlington, Vermont, area is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Maybe you'll find yourself at the top of the Green Mountains in Vermont or Adirondacks in New York. Then again, the foodie culture of downtown Burlington may whet your appetite for delicious traditional favorites or haute cuisine. Perhaps you'll be the one who finally captures a clear image of "Champ," the mythical prehistoric monster (like that other one in Loch Ness, Scotland) said to live in beautiful Lake Champlain.
WCAX-TV is looking for an experienced journalist with a love for politics who can provide our viewers with insights into Vermont's political arena. This includes covering Bernie Sanders' campaign for president, the 2020 New Hampshire presidential primary and the Vermont Legislature. The ideal candidate should have the capacity to understand complex government policies and explain why they matter to people. We want a critical thinker who's not afraid to ask tough questions and will hold government leaders accountable for their actions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop, write, produce and present news stories daily live on television and also for web and social media
• Establish contacts and sources in political and government circles
• Participate in editorial meetings and contribute fresh ideas for newscasts
• Cover political campaigns, the Vermont Legislature and state government activities
• Cover other daily and breaking news as assigned
• Engage viewers through social media channels
• Prior experience as a political reporter preferred
• Prior television reporting experience a plus
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to work contacts on the phone to break stories, follow news tips and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news
• Strong news judgment, excellent journalistic instincts and a critical eye for detail
• Ability to multi-task efficiently and handle high-pressure situations on a consistent basis
• Possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to contribute within a strong team environment
• Possess strong computer skills for research and applications and master knowledge of video editing
• Familiarity with latest social media trends and products
• Ability to learn to shoot and edit video
• Willingness to work long hours and overtime when necessary
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.