BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Weekend Anchor/Multimedia Journalist
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
If you believe in the importance of journalism to the life of our communities and our republic, you will have the opportunity to live that commitment out at WCAX. We are on our way to being the best TV station in America, and if that sounds like the team you'd like to play for, then we want you. But be warned: we like what we do. It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle. If you live this work - if you can't help but do it - you might find some friends here. We'll enable your addiction to television, to digital, to news. WCAX is the original and leading station in the Burlington-Plattsburgh market. We paved the way for TV in this whole area of the country. We are a station of innovators. If you are the person who will help us inform, educate, entertain and delight an audience of more than 750,000 people, then you need to send your resume and reel to us right now. Take this opportunity to build your career in a place people come from all over the world to enjoy. Ski at some of the best-known resorts in America in the winter and hike, boat and play outdoors in the summer. The Burlington, Vermont, area is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Maybe you'll find yourself at the top of the Green Mountains in Vermont or Adirondacks in New York. Then again, the foodie culture of downtown Burlington may whet your appetite for delicious traditional favorites or haute cuisine. Perhaps you'll be the one who finally captures a clear image of "Champ," the mythical prehistoric monster (like that other one in Loch Ness, Scotland) said to live in beautiful Lake Champlain.
WCAX-TV is looking for a full-time weekend anchor/multimedia journalist to work for the number one station in the market. We are seeking a dynamic candidate who is passionate about the art of storytelling and able to connect with people.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging and professional manner
• Present information in a fair, unbiased manner, ensuring the information is accurate and of interest to viewers
• Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
• Work with producer and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
• Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media
• Edit video for broadcasts as necessary
• Develop story ideas to present in morning/afternoon news meeting
• Develop contacts and sources in the community
• Ability to meet daily and long-range deadlines, work well with others in a team atmosphere and contribute meaningful content daily
• Participate in community events and make public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
• Always present a professional image as a representative of WCAX-TV
• One (1) year experience in a commercial newsroom preferred, including anchoring experience
• BS/BA in journalism or communications preferred
• Ability to shoot, write and edit your own stories as necessary
• Experience with posting stories to web and social media
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
• Schedule flexibility
• A valid driver's license and a good driving record
** A link to candidate's reel, to include clips of both reporting and anchoring, is required and should be included in the application **
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
GRAY TELEVISION, INC. PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.